Description

...

Monday Movie: Away We Go

Posted on: Monday, July 25, 2011

This week I'm sharing one of my all-time favorite movies, Away We Go (2009). The movie stars John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph, as an early thirties couple who are expecting their first child and recently released from any home ties, so they set off on a trip to figure out where they want to start their new family. I think it is a funny, sad, thoughtful, lovely movie. It is both uplifting and a little bit depressing, usually leaving me with a smile and a tear. Krasinski and Rudolph are wonderful together. The relationship between the two leads is something to be admired. Critics have taken issue with them, stating that Burt and Verona are "smug, superior, and condescending," that their relationship is "implausibly ideal." But you know what? They do have a superior relationship. To me it is kind of the ideal. The two fully acknowledge their imperfections and worries, but they exude so much confidence in their love for one another. We see them in contrast to their odd, broken, self-absorbed friends and family that they visit on their journey, played by a great supporting cast. The soundtrack, primarily featuring singer-songwriter Alexi Murdoch, suits the movie perfectly. For me this is a comfort film, but it makes me miss Kyle so I can't actually watch it very often. Kyle enjoys the movie too, and we watched it the day we got married. Maybe we kind of like to see ourselves in Verona and Burt. Anyway, I love this movie; perhaps it will be an anniversary tradition (along with brunch at Ihop).

- From the desk of Mrs. Sarah McPherson

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

from the desk All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger