Description

...

DC, I Can't Quit You

Posted on: Friday, January 17, 2014

Folks, I'm so excited; I'm going back to Washington, DC in March for the Anti-Hunger Policy Conference!! The conference is put on by the Food Research and Action Center and Feeding America, two awesome hunger fighting organizations. Guess what I've already learned? Conferences are expensive! I guess I've only been to free or $20 ones before, but these legit, professional conferences cost between $300 and $400 for registration alone. So I thought for a while about whether I should go, but I decided yes. This is what I'm really interested in, I love DC, it will be a great learning experience, and a great networking opportunity (even though the thought of networking is slightly terrifying; at least I already have Baylor business cards ready!).

Here's some details on the conference:
The National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference draws anti-hunger and anti-poverty advocates; federal, state and local government officials; child advocates; representatives of food banks and food rescue organizations; and nutrition and anti-obesity groups, for three days of training, networking and Capitol Hill advocacy.
Participants share information and learn how to strengthen the quality and reach of federal nutrition programs, learn best outreach and program practices from other states and localities, fill in the gaps in food service for millions of low-income children, and identify creative ideas for new and innovative approaches to ending hunger. Members of Congress, Hill staff and key Administration officials attend the conference, provide comments as part of plenary sessions and panels, and join participants at receptions and special events.
Awesome, right? I can't wait to hear who is going to be speaking and attending. The conference is March 2-4, and I'm planning on staying in the area for the rest of the week to visit my dear friend Abigail (who lives in Baltimore and I visited last year before my trip to DC!), visit my youngest brother who is an undergrad at Georgetown, and enjoy springtime in DC (and do some work and maybe job searching)! I will surely blog about my time at the conference and in the city; Sarah Does DC: Hunger in America Part II, perhaps? :)

- S

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

from the desk All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger